Darci M. Smith, Counsel
Darci is Counsel in the firm's Health Care practice.
Darci is Counsel in the firm’s Health Care group with experience on Stark, Anti-Kickback and Maryland Physician Self-Referral Act matters as well as Certificate of Need and other health care facility licensing issues. Darci has counseled health care professionals on scope of practice questions and entrepreneurs on the Maryland Corporate Practice of Medicine laws. Darci has assisted multiple health care limited liability companies by drafting operating and management agreements. As an Associate General Counsel for a national health insurance company, Darci advised its Leadership, Government Affairs, Public Policy, Communication and Compliance teams on various state and federal health insurance laws, including the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (“MHPAEA”). Beforehand, she investigated companies for their compliance with the MHPAEA through the Maryland Insurance Administration.
Darci helped draft legislation that updated Maryland's self-referral and provider reimbursement laws to allow health care providers to enter into certain value-based care arrangements including two-sided incentive and capitated arrangements.
Darci was also a Judicial Clerk for the Hon. Andrea Leahy of the Maryland Court of Special Appeals during which she researched and analyzed Maryland laws.
In addition, she served as a Law Clerk for the University of Maryland Medical System’s Office of the General Counsel where she researched STARK and Anti-Kickback law application, among other responsibilities.
Darci earned a Health Law Certificate when she graduated from University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law with her J.D. in 2015.
Named to Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch by Best Lawyers in America® in Health Care Law, 2024
Member, Board of Directors, Greater Baltimore Cultural Alliance
- Did You Know? - Fall 2023
- Maryland Regulatory News - Fall 2023
- New Supreme Court False Claims Cases
- Maryland Regulatory News - Summer 2023
- Did you Know? - Summer 2023
- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly of Limited Liability Company Operating Agreements
- Maryland Regulatory News - Spring 2023
- Did You Know? - Spring 2023
- HIPAA Update – Electronic Transmissions
- HIPAA Update– Tracking Technologies
- Maryland Regulatory News
- ACO Changes for 2023
- COVID-19 Misinformation
- No Surprises Act—Final Rule
- Did You Know? Winter 2022
- Did You Know? Fall 2022
- COVID-19 Mandates and Screenings
- Maryland Regulatory News - Fall 2022
- Is Arbitration Ever Time-Barred?
- Did You Know? Summer 2022
- Maryland Regulatory News
- Behavioral Health Parity for Employer Sponsored Group Health Plans
- Flexibility for Value-Based Care Compensation
- Seminar for Maryland Physicians: What’s New & What’s Old is New