Seminar for Maryland Physicians: What’s New & What’s Old is New
Thursday, June 16, 2022
5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Sheraton Baltimore North
There is no fee for this seminar, but registration is required because space is limited. Please register no later than Monday, June 6, 2022. Please clickhere to register.
The Maryland General Assembly was busy again this year, and there are new Maryland laws that will affect how Maryland physicians will be paid. For example, one can expect:
- Physician networks to pay bonuses to members for referring patients to high quality and low cost providers;
- Commercial health insurers offering groups of doctors the opportunity to assume risk; and
- Self-insured employer health plans paying more doctors on a capitated basis.
Also, new physician employers are entering the Maryland market, and existing Maryland employers are modifying their employment agreements. Therefore, it is a good time to review the nuances of physician employment agreements.
If you attend this seminar, you will learn the answers to these questions and more:
- What laws did the Maryland General Assembly pass in 2022 that impact how payors can pay Maryland doctors?
- What is Maryland’s new Paid Family Leave Law all about?
- Are non-compete provisions still enforceable in the District of Columbia?
- Are there new reasons to avoid arbitration provisions?
- What are the significant differences among, and the key negotiating strategies for, physician employment agreements with private equity companies, hospitals and private groups?
5:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Registration & Dinner
6:00 p.m. – 6:05 p.m. Introduction
6:05 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. New Value-Based Care Compensation in Maryland by Darci M. Smith
6:30 p.m. – 6:45 p.m. Maryland’s New Paid Family Leave law by Charles R. Bacharach
6:45 p.m. – 7:20 p.m. Nuances of Physician Employment Agreements by Barry F. Rosen
7:20 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. General Q & A
Darci M. Smith
Darci is an Associate with the firm’s Health Care group with experience working with the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA). As an Associate General Counsel for a national health insurance company, Darci advised its Leadership, Government Affairs, Public Policy, Communication and Compliance teams on this law. Beforehand, she investigated companies for their compliance with the MHPAEA through the Maryland Insurance Administration.
Charles R. Bacharach
Chuck is Chair of the firm's Employment group and a member of its Litigation and Health Care practice groups. He represents clients in a wide array of employment matters, including employment discrimination, sexual harassment, wage claims, contract disputes, wrongful discharge, false claims act, defamation and negligent misrepresentation actions. In addition, he represents clients in Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and other employee benefit matters.
Barry F. Rosen
Barry is Chairman and CEO of Gordon Feinblatt LLC and heads the firm's Health Care Group. He has developed a principal focus in health care, antitrust counseling and antitrust litigation, trademark licensing, franchising, computer hardware and software acquisition, and governmental financing.
Barry is a frequent lecturer on health care subjects, and has published numerous articles in the health care area.
Contact Debbie Henry.
May 13, 2022
Bacharach, Charles R.
Rosen, Barry F.
Smith, Darci M.