Judges Simon E. Sobeloff and Joseph R. Byrnes formed the cornerstone of Gordon Feinblatt LLC.
In 1914 Judge Sobeloff was admitted to the Bar at the age of 19 and held a succession of public positions, including Solicitor General of the United States. He ultimately became Chief Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
Judge Byrnes graduated from the University of Baltimore Law School in 1931 and became an associate of the law firm of Tydings, Sauerwein, Levy & Archer, where David P. Gordon began his legal career as an associate in 1939. In 1946, Byrnes & Gordon was formed. Judge Byrnes left private practice in 1952 when he was appointed a judge of the Supreme Bench of Baltimore City. In 1952 Judge Sobeloff also left a flourishing private practice to become Chief Judge of the Maryland Court of Appeals. The Sobeloff firm included then associates Eugene M. Feinblatt and Donald N. Rothman.
In January, 1953 Gene Feinblatt and David Gordon, who had been friends for many years, merged the Byrnes & Gordon firm with Judge Sobeloff’s former associates and Gordon and Feinblatt was formed. The new firm included Donald Rothman as a partner and six associates. In 1956 the firm changed its name to Gordon Feinblatt and Rothman. The Firm as it exists today was shaped by the character, strengths and values of its founding partners.
David Gordon’s practice covered a broad spectrum of commercial, real estate and construction law matters. He served as general counsel to many of the region's leading corporations.
Dealing with issues of major importance to the city of Baltimore was a common thread throughout Gene Feinblatt's fifty-year legal career. He was Chairman of the Baltimore Urban Renewal Agency, which facilitated the transformation of the Inner Harbor and the rehabilitation of many inner-city neighborhoods. Gene also served as special counsel to the Maryland Stadium Authority during the development of Camden Yards. He later became Chairman of the Maryland Hospital Association, and helped to develop the nation's first hospital cost review process.
Donald Rothman graduated from Harvard Law School in 1948 and served as Chairman of the firm's Litigation Department for more than 35 years. He was a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and one of the most sought-after litigators in Maryland.
In 1921 the law firm of Hoffberger & Hollander was founded by Samuel Hoffberger, a skillful Maryland real estate lawyer and well-known businessman. In 1972, Gordon Feinblatt and Rothman merged with Hoffberger & Hollander to become Gordon, Feinblatt, Rothman, Hoffberger & Hollander. The merger brought two more highly respected lawyers into the firm -- LeRoy E. Hoffberger and Morton J. Hollander.
In 1981 to accommodate its growth, the firm purchased the Garrett Building in Baltimore City. The building was originally constructed in 1913 as the banking and brokerage house of Robert Garrett & Sons and was recognized as "one of the handsomest and most striking structures in the financial district." The firm committed to restore the historic structure to its original grandeur and it is now listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
In 1980, at the age of 38, Herbert Goldman became Managing Partner of the firm, a position he held through 2012. In 1989, Barry Rosen was elected Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Firm at the age of 39, a position he continues to hold today.
In 1995, the former Governor William Donald Schaefer joined the firm as an attorney Of Counsel. The Firm offered its clients the Governor’s wealth of knowledge and experience until January, 1999, when he returned to public service as Comptroller to the Treasury of the State of Maryland.
In 2012 Michael C. Powell became Managing Member. The leadership team of Barry Rosen and Michael Powell has proven extraordinarily effective in guiding the Firm through its very successful transition from a first to a second generation law firm.