Carla is Counsel in the Firm’s Financial Services and e.discovery groups. Her practice focuses on consumer financial services, banking, and e-commerce.
Carla advises regulated businesses (banks, thrifts, credit unions, finance companies, debt management and settlement services providers, check cashers, and other financial services companies) on compliance with federal and state laws, products and corporate matters. She works regularly with federal and state regulators. & Most recently, Carla co-authored the fourth edition of "A Survey of Maryland Laws Relating to Extending Credit and Consumer Financial Services. "
Significant representations include mergers and acquisitions of banks, mortgage brokers, finance companies, and insurance agencies; bank holding company formations; enforcement matters, including MOU’s; and portfolio sales. Carla has helped many financial institutions implement Internet banking programs and cash management activities by developing forms and procedures. Carla regularly reviews and negotiates core processor agreements and other contracts.
In connection with her representation of debt management service providers, Carla served as the American Bar Association Advisor to the NCCUSL Drafting Committee on the Uniform Debt Management Services Act from 2003 to 2005, and continues in that roll for the Standby Committee on the Uniform Debt Management Services Act.
Carla’s experience includes several years as in-house counsel at The Rouse Company in Columbia, Maryland, a shopping center developer and the developer of Columbia, Maryland.
Received the 2013 "Client Choice Award" for Banking in Maryland by the International Law Office and Lexology
- Named by Best Lawyers in America - 2014 Baltimore Litigation - Banking & Finance "Lawyer of the Year"
- Named by Best Lawyers in America - 2012 Baltimore Financial Services Regulation Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- Named by Best Lawyers in America - 2011 Baltimore Banking and Finance Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2005-present
- Elected to American College of Consumer Financial Services Attorneys, 2006
- Named in the 2008, 2009, 2012, and 2014 lists of Maryland Super Lawyers for Banking Law
- Fellow, American Bar Association
- AV Rating in Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed as one of SmartCEO's 2008 Top Business Law Attorneys
Professional and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association Advisor to the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws Study Committee on the Uniform Debt Management Services Act, 2003-2005
- American Bar Association: Banking Law Committee; Former Chair, Community Bank Matters Subcommittee; Credit Union Committee; Consumer Financial Services Committee
- Maryland State Bar Association, Former Chair, Uniform Commercial Code Committee; Business Law Section Council 2001-2003
Publications and Lectures
- "FACT Act Update," Maryland Bankers Association, Spring, 2008
- Author, The New Uniform Debt Management Services Act, Conference on Consumer Finance Law Quarterly Report, Winter, 2006
- Presenter, Interest Rate Exportation - - A Recap and Update, Association of Corporate Counsel Tele-Speech, June, 2006
- Presenter, Privacy and Information Security Rules for Debt Management Services Providers, American Association of Debt Management Organizations, Spring, 2006
- Presenter, FACT Act Update, Maryland Bankers Association, Spring, 2006
- Presenter, Hot Topics for Bank Directors, Bank Directors’ Forum Sponsored by Maryland Commissioner of Financial Regulation, November, 2005
- Author, Maryland Secured Transactions Under Revised Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code, Data Trace Publishing, 2001 (updated yearly)
J.D., University of Maryland School of Law, 1976
Order of the Coif
American Jurisprudence Award: Business Transactions
M.S., University of California at Berkeley, 1971
B.A., Phi Beta Kappa, University of California at Berkeley, 1970
District of Columbia, 1979